Danny Chang's review of car designs

Saturday, December 6, 2008

2010 Ford Mustang GT could be so much more


When I first saw the new 2010 Ford Mustangs from far across the convention floor at the 2008 LA Auto Show, I swear I could not tell that they were new.   I guess Ford decided to play it safe again, God forbid they take any risks.

The Good - Well to start off, I actually really like the current generation Mustang design. I still think that Ford pulled off this retro muscle car design better than GM did with the new Chevy Camaro.  So the fact that the 2010 Mustang is not that different than the current design, it is a good thing.  I like the evolutionary changes.  The front end is more aggressive and the sheet metal looks more tightly wrapped around the front end.  The hump in the hood is pretty cool.  Frontend changes: B+.

The Bad - The flare over the rear wheel.  Hmmm, where have I seen that recently?  Let’s see, oh yeah, EVERYWHERE! They should’ve done something about the rear side window, it’s more boring than the ugly one on the new Nissan 370z.

The Ugly - Ford decided the chisel off the corners of the new Mustang, including the tail lights. The result is a disaster.  I liked the current car’s tail end with its right-angled corners. The chiseled-off corners make the new Mustang look less aggressive for some reason, which is strange because the new front end is more aggressive.

Overall I give this Mustang refresh a B.  Ford could have and should have gone further to meet the upcoming challenge from the new Camaro and the Challenger.  But I guess given the current state of the car industry, maybe Ford doesn’t have to worry too much about the Camaro and certainly not the Challenger.  Maybe they should put the new hybrid engine from the Fusion into the Mustang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamborghini gallardo